We are grateful for all of the support our son received at Haringey Learning Partnership and want to thank the staff for getting him back into a mainstream school quickly and successfully. - Parent
Respite and Reintegration
Respite & Reintegration is for students who may benefit from a short period of time away from mainstream provision in order for them to reflect and to be equipped with support and strategies prior to return. The purpose of the Respite provision is to improve engagement with students' mainstream schools so that their attendance, academic resilience and engagement with the curriculum is improved.
- It is a placement with fixed start and end dates.
- Students stay on their school roll and return at the end.
- Placements begin at the start of each half-term and last for the duration of the half-term.
- Students are observed in their mainstream school and invited to an admissions meeting with their family and school prior to admission.
- Review meetings to discuss progress towards agreed targets and plans for reintegration are scheduled.
- Each student undergoes a range of assessments on entry to evaluate attitudes to school and to ascertain if there are any undiagnosed learning needs.
- The Respite curriculum focuses on all national curriculum subjects delivered by qualified teachers.
- Time for students to complete GCSE work can be built into students' timetables.
- The curriculum includes an extensive extra-curricular offer to support students' personal development.
- All students participate in a weekly sailing course, 1:1 English work with Literacy Pirates and a full day at Jamie's Farm, Waterloo, to develop inter-personal skills through work with animals and support students to develop new skills.
- All students access mentoring and academic coaching to support students in identifying academic goals linked to their key stage, whether that be deciding on KS4 pathways, or identifying post-16 opportunities.
- Students have access to HLP's therapeutic offer which includes Art and Animal Assisted Therapy, Counselling, Speech and Language Therapy and Family Engagement. These interventions will be agreed with students and their families at the point of admission.
- Close contact with home and host school with weekly updates on progress.
- Access to specialist services as determined by the assessment process.
- Full report at the end of the placement including the outcomes of the assessment, the curriculum they have followed, progress over time and objectives for the future.
- On-going support for school staff to meet students' needs back in schools as required
Referrals to HLP's Respite provision need to be received by the penultimate Wednesday of each half-term. Referrals are submitted to HAPIP (HAPIPreferrals@haringey.gov.uk), the multi-agency admissions panel, using HLP's referral form. If you would like to discuss a referral in advance of submission, please contact