Teaching and Learning
Teaching and Learning at HLP
The varied nature of our provision means that lessons may look quite different. For example, some services offer 1:1 tuition, whereas other students are taught in settings more akin to a mainstream classroom. Furthermore, some vocational courses, which are delivered by external providers, may vary in their approach.
However, there are 5 key principles which underpin all HLP lessons:
- ‘Do Now’ – A ‘Do Now’ activity starts every lesson. Often an opportunity for retrieval practice, ‘Do Now’ activities are low-stakes and engage students in the lesson.
- Explain – Powerful knowledge is given to students through clear explanations, delivered by subject experts.
- Question – Teachers use targeted questioning to check and progress students’ understanding.
- Practise – Students are given regular opportunities to practise what they have been taught.
- Review - Students are given regular opportunities to respond to feedback from staff, spending dedicated time editing and improving their work.